Re: [IP] Medical Terms???

1) Renal problems which are beginning to show up as protein in the urine

Answer:  Microalbuminuria, but only if the level is greater than >30 (on
average).  At what point it becomes Macroalbuminuria I am not certain.  Then
it progresses to Diabetic Nephropathy.  (Everyone has microalbumin in their
urine, but only when over the normal limit, which is set by the individual
lab (because of differing calibration methods for the equipment,) does it
officially get a 'diagnosis'.)

2) Eye problems which involve some detectable new capillaries and minor
bleeding but not yet severe enough for treatment.

Answer:  If there are 'new' capillaries forming, then it is Proliferative
Retinopathy which usually requires laser surgery.  The new capillaries form
because the retina is 'starving' for oxygen.  The laser surgery stops the new
capillaries from forming.  If there are just microaneurysms with pinpoint
hemmorhages, then it is Background Retinopathy which doesn't require
treatment because the pinpoint hemmorhages usually dissolve on their own.

Roxanne M. Villanueva RD, LD, CPT
Registered and Licensed Dietitian
2002 ADA 'Call to Congress: Conquer Diabetes' Participant (May 1-3, 2002)
Minimed Certified Insulin Pump Trainer
IDDM X >20 Years, Pumping 1/4/1995
(First with Disetronic and now with MM since 11/00 and much happier!)
"Diabetes is a disease of complications and waiting for them to happen." - -
- Mary Tyler Moore

Please pray for my oldest friend, Sandi Pompili, as she battles Leukemia and
now recovers from a Bone Marrow Transplant (God bless her brother Gerald) on
March 6, 2002.  She has a long road to recovery.