Re: [IP] "Hiding" pump, yet another female perspective

   When I first joined this list back in December, this was my primary concern as
well.  (Where/how do I hide this thing?)  I have since found that most people
never realize that I have the device on at all.  The need to conceal it was more
in my head than a reality.

    I teach computer assisted knitwear design across the US with a strong
emphasis on custom fitting knitted garments.  People look at and examine my
clothes all the time. I frequently wear sweaters which cover the waist band area,
either a bloused pullover or a cardigan style, which avoids the need to "hide"
the pump in a special place.  As I am teaching my cardigans frequently come on
and off as needed to illustrate how I have knitted concealed darts, lowered arm
hole depths,  contoured the side seams, etc. to achieve a proper fit for my
body.   I use an Animas pump (slightly smaller than an average sized deck of
playing cards) with their new leather case.  It uses a tension clip similar to
those found on eye glass or cell phone cases and lies flatter against the body
than the original screw in clip which comes with the pump. Only those who are
familiar enough to recognize that it is an insulin pump have ever asked about

  For one piece garments or for when I am asked to model my garments in a fashion
show, I bought and have used a "Bra Stash" through AAA.  It hangs from ones bra
straps and can be adjusted so that it can be placed anywhere inside or outside
the undergarment.  It can hang from other places as well but it can take some
doing.  Because the object was to conceal, I chose to place it inside the bra
between my breasts.  I wear a modest sized full figured bra which is strong
enough to hold the pump without the Bra Stash but feel more comfortable knowing
that my pump cannot slip out of place at an inopportune moment.  It works
wonderfully and gives me the added security I seem to crave.  I have also
successfully placed the pump, without its clip or case, toward the inner thigh
under a lycra style girdle.  (I'm the one who wondered whether it would even fit
there without activating buttons .<VBG>  It is do able ladies.)

   During my hands on workshops where I am with a given group of people for two
or three days, I wear and use the pump as I normally would according to the way I
am dressed.  It is usually during the first buffet style meal that someone asks
about it.  I find that if I go into a workshop setting having announced my
diabetes first, then I tend to be judged by my "condition".  What I know/don't
know or how I chose to present my material is somehow due to my diabetes - not
due to my talents and abilities or training.  By the time the first meal time
arrives I have already had a chance to "prove" myself and the revelation  is
treated more as an interesting aside rather than the reason I am the way I am.
Most are very curious and it gives me a chance to clear up some of the
misconceptions people have about our disease.  (Btw, I am not stupid about
handling these things, I do let at least one other person know ahead of time just
in case I run into trouble.)

   During one such class I had worn the pump on my waist band under a cardigan
jacket on the first day but the second had chosen to wear one of my knitted
dresses.  They where all quite concerned that I had forgotten to put the pump on
that morning and asked about where it was.   They were looking for it and
couldn't find it. <g>   I spend a great deal of time with these knitters taking
detailed measurements, often times in their undergarments.  I know a great deal
about their bodies when I am through.  I just doesn't seem fair, after I have
gathered so much private information about their bodies, that I should dodge
their questions about my unique body quirks. ;-)

   My two cents on the subject.

   - Ann (who no longer worries about how to "hide" the pump, rather about
incorporating it in my ensemble, exposed or otherwise, so as to best show case me
and my talents.)

Ann Gervasio        mailto:email @ redacted
Herndon,  VA        http://www.KnitsByAnn.com