[IP] islet cell transplant

Emory is currently beginning the screening process for possible candidates.
I believe they will be choosing 5 people.  The doctor who spoke at the  forum
I was at is the head of the transplant team.  The conditions he said that had
to be met were:  at least a diabetic for 5 years, between the ages of 18-65,
type 1 diabetic, severe hypos or hyerglaucemic episodes even with rigorus
testing, having a doc and following up very closey with them and be willing
to stick with a very strict regiment, no previous kidney problems....those
were the basic ones(and all that I can remember).  He spoke of the
immosupressive drugs, and the complications that they can cause
afterwards..hence the no previous kidney problems.  If you have any more
questions, ask me...hopefully I can remember the answers!  Heidi