[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V6 #260

Hi Diane,
I have been type 1 for 22 years.  It seems my IO pressures have been
boarderline (17-19) for many years, as I have been followed by both a
retinologist and an opthamologist because of the diabetes.  I developed
glaucoma 4 years ago, when pressures went over 21 in each eye.  I have no
evidence of retinopathy.  My grandfather did have glaucoma, so mine is felt
to be familial.  I have a visual field test about once a year, with normal
results so far.  Timoptic eye gtts keep my pressures between 16 and 18.  I
have found that it is better to have the doctors do the pressure tests--the
results vary widely with some of the techs.  My eye color hasn't changed, nor
have my eyelashes been affected.  Sometimes the drops irritate my eyes, but
that passes quickly.  I have found that I can no longer use visene or any
other eye drop, because the two drops together will cause my pupils to
dilate.  Another thing to watch is for B/P lowering, as these drops can have
a mild systemic effect.  I leave my eye drops by my sink all the time so I
don't forget to use them twice a day!  Good luck to you!  Lisa