Re: [IP] raw food approach

At 10:54 PM 4/14/02 -0500, you wrote:
 >RE: original message on 'Raw Food Approach'  IP-digest April 13th
 >(reportedly a 'cured' Type 1 teen)
 >Sure, Leslie who has no desire to become a <raw fooder> loves her pump
 >AND HER Go-Gurts as do I........BUT:   Do we know how enzymes--abundant
 >in raw <living food>, but largely diminished in <cooked>--affect
 >insulin/carb ratio? More in nutritional approaches on staving off
 >secondary tissue damages? Any clinical studies underway to show complete
 >investigation into major muscle activity RE: exercise factors of cell
 >receptors/insulin requirements as under influence of enzyme and/or other
 >yet uninvestigated factors synergistically? A raw almond can potentially
 >germinate to produce a flourishing tree with multitudes of almonds; a
 >roasted almond disintegrates into dirt in a week or so yet both have the
 >same amt. of calcium, zinc, protein, cho, & fat, etc. <YMMV>

I wish I could share your hope, Carol, but the whole raw foods approach
seems like wishful thinking to me.  If you look at it in terms of very
simple science, it doesn't stand up.

Unfortunately, enzymes in any form cannot affect the carb/insulin
ratio.  The reason behind this is that they are proteins, and, as such, are
digested before they can perform any enzymatic function in the body.  The
enzymes that work in our body are produced by our body and don't have to
travel through the digestive tract before they can perform their
magic.  This is why they can work.

As a comparison consider insulin.  Insulin is also a protein.  In people
without type 1 diabetes it is produced by the body, doesn't go through the
digestive tract, and performs its intended function just fine.  If we try
to take it orally it is digested and becomes inert before it can perform
its hormonal function.  This is why we need to take it by injection--to
bypass the digestive tract.

The original post on this subject mentioned muscular activity producing
insulin.  This is impossible.  Insulin is produced only in the beta cells
of the Isles of Langerhans in the pancreas.  These are completely destroyed
in full-fledged type 1 diabetes. While muscular activity can lessen the
carb/insulin factor given the availability of a baseline amoount of
insulin, there must be _some_ insulin available before any carbohydrate
metabolism can happen at all.

I suspect that any benefit of this raw food approach accrues simply because
it is extremely difficult to take in enough calories when eating only raw
food and exercising vigorously to properly nourish the body--let alone the
growing body of a teenager or toddler.  In effect, it recreates the
starvation diet prescribed for diabetics before exogenous insulin was
available. And we all know what heppened to them.

BTW, the raw food/enzymes pseudo-scientific approach is the basis for
several multi-level marketing scams.  The most well-refuted of these is the
Juice Plus ploy.  You can find a nice writeup on this at
http://www.mlmwatch.org/04C/NSA/juiceplus.html if you're interested.

I know that our idea of 'simple' science has changed before (viz the theory
of relativity), but I don't think we're going to find any revolutionary
ideas about metabolism or human culpability in the foreseeable future. This
is only my opinion, but I think it's worth sharing.