[IP] Site Life

> In a message dated 4/13/2002 10:49:16 PM Central Daylight Time,
> email @ redacted writes:
> > Subject: [IP] Site Irritation
> I use the silhoutte.  What I've noticed is that when sugars are
> running High and I start pumping larger boluses my site gets red,
> itchy, and hard.  Last time this was occuring I tried to square my
> bolus over 30 mins. to aid in absorption.  I've also noticed I never
> get through a third day at the same site.

Approximately 6% of pumpers that use Humalog suffer some side effects
that appear to reduce site life to something like 36-48 hours, after
which bg's begin to rise and the site becomes very resistant to
additional insulin infusion. Moving the site appears to alleviate the
problem. The overall result appears to be a localized (at the site)
resistance to insulin that makes control very difficult. Mixing
another insulin, usually Velosulin however a few pumpers us regular,
seems to alleviate the symptoms and allow the infusion sites to
function as well and as long as using regular or velosulin alone.

If you check the ABOUT page of the web site, you will see the 6%
number for "mixers" and that most people that mix us 5 parts of
Humalog and 1 part Velosulin. Your next question will be "what is
Velosulin" :-)   --- It is a regular insulin that was developed with
specific buffers for use in insulin pumps. In most other respects it
behaves pretty much like regular insulin.

So far a number of our "mixer" pumpers have switched to
straight Novolog with good success. One person has reported that
Novolog does not see to work well for her. Since there are few users
of Novolog at this time, it is not known if there is a similar subset
of individuals that may have sensitivity to the composition of