[IP] Re: help with 16 year old daughter!!

>is in high school, it is like she is ashamed of her diabetes.  She hardly
>ever takes her meter when she goes places and is not very good about doing
>her blood sugar before she drives.  She even lies to me occassionally and
>will say she has her meter when in fact she doesn't.

Suggestion:  Is she trying to "fit in"?  IME, it's not the diabetes;
it's trying to minimize the visibility of DM in order to try and meet
the emotinal need to feel as though one "fits in".  If that is the
underlying issue the solution is to work with that issue.  The better
Dm will follow soon once the need to "fit in" is met or minimized.

ON the other hand, most teens go thru this with DM at some point - so
what's hte cause?  At the time in life the need to "fit in" to a pier
group and conform is overwhleming to most kids, let alone those of us
with D.

A1C's of 6-8 are pretty great for anyone let alone a teen!  can't
imagine any teen with an A1C under 9 being a concern!

Darrin Parker
Ontario, Canada

I have used the insulin infusion pump for one year thanks to the
support of wonderful internet friends & the

The Pump gave me better control than I had achieved in 27 years of
MDI!  Best pre-pump HeA1c = 9.2.  1st & 2nd post-pump HeA1c = 5.1 &