Re: [IP] help with 16 year old daughter!!

I just had to respond to this subject.  I am almost 20 years old now and in
college about 2 hours away from home.  I was diagnosed a week after my 11th
birthday.  For the first year or two I had great control, never had an A1C
higher that 6.7, I tested my BG 3 or 4 times a day, and always took my
insulin, in a sense was the "perfect diabetic." I thought that it was pretty
cool to have diabetes.  I would tell all of my friends about what I had to
do, I went to diabetic summer camps and even some diabetic weekends where you
could bring a friend and they could learn all about diabetes, in a sense was
the "perfect diabetic."  Then after a couple of years of being "perfect" I
got sick of it.  My old doctor who was the best moved to another state, so I
had to get a new one who really didn't care about anything.  I stopped taking
my insulin on a regular basis, so that made my BG go up and when I saw that I
got frustrated and stopped testing, which in turn made my A1C shoot up to 15
and 16.  But I didn't care because I was free, I didn't have to stick to a
strict schedule and be different.  When I would go to the doctor he would
just say, oh it must be hormones just take more insulin and that will help.
This routine went on for a long time.  Then the last week of school my junior
year, I had to be taken to the hospital in DKA.  The doctors said that if I
would have came in an hour later, that I would have died.  That really scared
me into taking care of myself, and I did that for a while, until I started
college.  Then I let it all go again.  The worst day of my life was when I
had to call 911 for myself because I was in DKA and thought that I was going
to die.  I don't remember that day at all, I was incoherent from about 7 in
the morning when the paramedics came and 6 that night when my Mom came.  It
took them all day to get my mom's number out of me because I couldn't think
straight.  When I saw my mom's face and how scared she was, I knew that I
would never do that to her again, and I would never hurt myself like that
again.  And here I am today, getting a new doctor, and hopefully a pump soon.
 Tell your daughter that no matter how much she doesn't want to be different,
there are worse things than taking a minute or two to test and take some
insulin.  She could end up dead.  Hope this helps.  Sorry it was so long.