Re: [IP] help with 16 year old daughter!!

I just had to kick in my two cents.....I agree that you have to encourage
them and tell them they are doing a good job as well as making sure they are
taking care of themselves.  But, remember that children with diabetes are
forced into a lot of maturity.  I was diagnosed at age 11 and always felt
that I was robbed of a childhood.  I hated being treated like a baby by my
mother.  Therefore, I did rebel.  During my puberty years, I had a hospital
stay almost every month.  I think partially because of hormones but also
because of rebellion.  I moved away from home at the age of sixteen
partially because I could not get along with my mother.  We argued
constantly.  After moving away from home and knowing that it was completely
on me, I got in better control and after living away from home for sixteen
years now, I have had three hospital stays but instead of being for DKA they
were for low blood sugars.  They will do what is right with encouragement,
but don't forget to let them know that you are proud of what they are doing.