Re: [IP] help with 16 year old daughter!!

email @ redacted writes:
<< I need some help and don't know what to do with my 16 year old daughter.
 When she was younger she was so good about always taking her meter with her
 and doing her blood sugar and not caring what people think.  But now that
 is in high school, it is like she is ashamed of her diabetes....
 I don't know how to handle this.  She is such a good kid.  She is an A
 student and doesn't drink or cause us any problems except, that I wish she
 wouldn't worry so much about other people knowing she has diabetes.  Her AIC
 has been slowly creeping up to.  It is usually around 6.3 but the last 2
dr's appointments it has been 7.5 and I don't think it will be any lower this
time either.
 Anne >>

Anne, you sound like a great mom - very concerned about your daughter's
health & proud of her too.   Since she's 16, have you tried just coming
straight out with what's in your heart and saying "You're such a good kid,
and I wish you weren't so worried about other people knowing that you
have diabetes.  I'm worried about what's going to happen to your health
in a few years if you don't keep it under control now.  How can I help you?"
or something like that?

My kids aren't quite in the teenage years yet (6th grade, 3rd grade & DM'er in
1st grade) but I know when I tell them what I'm really concerned about & ask
for their ideas & leave things in their control that they all respond better to
it.  Plus I remember being that age - you have to grow away from your parents &
it's such a scary time to be yourself.   For that I'm so glad to be decades
past it - I don't mind being me anymore.

Good luck to you.  Follow your heart & you'll say just the right thing.
Shelly V, Austin, TX, mom to Luke, 7, dx'd 10/99, pumping 3/01

Do You Yahoo!?