[IP] raw food teen & cure documentation

RE: original message on 'Raw Food Approach'  IP-digest April 13th
(reportedly a 'cured' Type 1 teen)

> An interesting theory.  However, with no verification of DM dx on the
> son, no Bg profiling to back it up, no MD, RD, or CDE observations (was
> any of this sort of independent documentation  provided), I
> do not believe a word of it.
> I'm a firm believer of doing what every is best for the individual,
> is the whole reason I'm pumping today.  This idea is just a little too
> far out there for me to even consider.
> Frank W. Tegethoff, Jr.
        I (Mom to Leslie dxd at age 3--a very long haul indeed til the
elusive cure!) continue to be intrigued by this and only elicit
informative discussion in attempt to discover who else round the country
or globe may be aware of or attempting this. Some of us have to think
<outside the box> here or we'd be driven to be irresponsible or crazy.
Sure, Leslie who has no desire to become a <raw fooder> loves her pump
AND HER Go-Gurts as do I........BUT:   Do we know how enzymes--abundant
in raw <living food>, but largely diminished in <cooked>--affect
insulin/carb ratio? More in nutritional approaches on staving off
secondary tissue damages? Any clinical studies underway to show complete
investigation into major muscle activity RE: exercise factors of cell
receptors/insulin requirements as under influence of enzyme and/or other
yet uninvestigated factors synergistically? A raw almond can potentially
germinate to produce a flourishing tree with multitudes of almonds; a
roasted almond disintegrates into dirt in a week or so yet both have the
same amt. of calcium, zinc, protein, cho, & fat, etc. <YMMV>
        Would a certified English translation of this 17-yr. old's
medical work-up serve any purpose, REALLY? (he was dxd in Russia, I could
have looked at the paperwork they carry around, but opted out due to late
hour). I did, however pull out my spare glucometer and he willingly gave
a blood sample after hand washing which was 135--not really that great. I
plan to ask the mother---if I can get her phone number---the source of
what she studied about how the <pathway> of insulin production she
theorizes muscles in heavy labor of the necessary exercise produce, is
apparently sufficient to facilitate cell receptivity in all other tissue
types, excluding of course those organs already at risk for absorbing too
much glucose--i.e., retinal, kidney, neural. I was there to meet the
family. I discerned it is another deeply sincere account of a personal
story/journey and an honest presentation of how they have struggled to
understand and grapple with their own solution--to which all are entitled
<What a great country,> eh? The mother said she contacted several doctors
at clinics <I am presuming perhaps even Barbara Davis Center in Denver;
where they resided there first after arriving in the US> but clinicians
were not interested in the extreme approach and I don't really blame
them. However in my humble opinion it would be of interest if several
people are doing this and could be studied.
        I am a lay person, not too stupid, don't consider myself
<brilliant>. But a mother of fortitude and good sense (growingly
resenting the enormous cost of all this management of disease unending
'solution'). My daily prayer and purpose--amidst my many other
purposes--is to model and encourage Leslie to increasingly take on her
self-care with courage, scrutiny, and studied creativity. Leslie is doing
fine--moreover much better than many her age--by all accounts, esp. our
ped. endo. at Vanderbilt TN. I swore I wouldn't get defensive and
anticipated a firestorm raising this issue.
        I've been pondering the hunch that nutrition science is yet in
its infancy--please refer to Winter 2001 Countdown issue on p. 45
<Mapping the Disease Pathways>  wherein substances called Advanced
Glycation Endproducts <AGEs> that in biochemical metabolic processes
become linked to proteins in the body and do not break down, accumulating
particularly within cells associated with diabetes-related complications.
In my reading of another article also most assuredly <same issue,
Countdown> source--p. 48:  <The lion's share of the most destructive AGEs
in the body come from the diet...Helen Vlassara, MD at JDRFs Center for
Gene Therapy of Type 1 Diabetes & Long Term Complications at Mount Sinai
School of Medicine......>. I gasped to read that cooking foods create
AGEs, namely in most-to least offending order:  grilling, baking, frying,
and sauteing. Article goes on to say that low-AGE diets are those that
avoid these cooking methods--emphasizing raw, steamed, poached, and
boiled foods...... On the other hand, pharmaceutical companies
---according to the Countdown article--are currently testing drugs that
inhibit AGE formation. So, choose your poison. Like I sincerely intimated
before, <What a great country>--used to be said a lot by that beloved
'80s comedian from Russia, Yanklovich or something like that. Anybody out
there from Down Under, or Australia? Your impressive diabetes research
and 'national approach' fascinated me in the earliest first days of dx
and my initial discovery of Internet lit searches which I don't do so
often any more....  What about Canadians following favored nutritional
science....?    Thanks for the lengthy-text indulgence. I really have
been losing sleep over this 8>(

Alabama Carol--Mom to Leslie now 6....non DM Carl 9....MDHubby a NASA
physicist and definitely NEVER a 'raw fooder' unless deathly afflicted w/
no other way out.