Re: [IP] help with 16 year old daughter!!

In a message dated 4/13/02 8:33:26 PM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< I need some help and don't know what to do with my 16 year old daughter.
 When she was younger she was so good about always taking her meter with her
 and doing her blood sugar and not caring what people think.  But now that
 is in high school, it is like she is ashamed of her diabetes.  She hardly
 ever takes her meter when she goes places and is not very good about doing
 her blood sugar before she drives.  She even lies to me occassionally and
 will say she has her meter when in fact she doesn't.
 I don't know how to handle this.  She is such a good kid.  She is an A
 student and doesn't drink or cause us any problems except, that I wish she
 wouldn't worry so much about other people knowing she has diabetes.  Her AIC
 has been slowly creeping up to.  It is usually around 6.3 but the last 2
 appointments it has been 7.5 and I don't think it will be any lower this
 Thanks for the help!
 Anne >>

i was the 16yr old who did the same thing...i would never test my blood
sugar...and told mom and dad i had!  or i was the party girl...i would drink
and get into trouble!
and literally i outgrew it...and i had to do it on my own!!  i was the one
who needed to make the right choices in life!  and i learned but it took me a
few years!  and tg im still here to tell you that!!
be patient with you daughter...she will come around on her own!!!
good luck
pumping since 04-01 with my JETT  :o)