[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V6 #252

In a message dated 4/14/2002 11:56:47 AM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Subject: [IP] Public injections and 16 year old daughters

Oh Susan your thoughts touched me.  My dad was diagnosed T1 at age 33, I was
4 yrs old.  In a family of 7 children, I grew up blissfully ignorant about
Diabetes.  Whenever the needle came out, I looked or walked away.  I remember
being so scared once when my mom wanted to test my BS.  I was in my early
thirties.  Three years ago this coming July, at age 38 I laid in a hospital
bed on an insulin drip, diagnosed diabetic.  My sister a year older called me
when she got the news.  All she said was, "Vernie we grew up with this damn
disease all of our lives and we know nothing about it!"  I don't recall ever
crying that hard.
Consequently, my children are not sheltered from the disease.  They know and
understand the signs of when Dad is having problems.  Sometimes I think my
daughter, age 11, is more tuned into how D effects me than my wife is.
And she is a fabulous fan.  Many times suggesting I go for a run while she
watches little bro.  Even making him dinner on occasion.