[IP] type 2's

I'm a type 2 diabetic on a pump since July of 2001.  I've been having trouble
with what I thought was dawn phenomenon.  My fasting readings are always
higher than my bedtime readings.  I've checked them during the night, they
don't jump dramatically, but they seem to rise slowly.  I've raised my basals
from 3am - 6am, doesn't seem to have made any difference.  I was reading
Pumping Insulin, read something that confused me.  "Although a true Dawn
Phenomenon does not occur in Type 2 diabetes, a high morning reading is often
a problem.  Type 2s are not susceptible to insulin reactions at night so they
can use a higher basal at bedtime and then increase it at 1 or 2 am to cover
the tendency to go high in the morning."  The part about type 2s not being
susceptible to insulin reactions, is what surprised me, I'm wondering if I'm
being too conservative with my adjustments of my nighttime basals.  Anyone
have any experience with this, or any advice?