Re: [IP] public injections

> ------------------------------
> Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 20:12:41 -0500
> From: "Jayne Drowns" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: Re: [IP] public injections
> Dave,
> I hope you don't experience this as "heat," just a difference in
> I don't have any problem with a diabetic feeling, for whatever reason,
> they'd like to do their shots/tests in private.

I agree its a individual choice, I sometimes make this decision depending on
WHO I am going to be testing in front of,
In places like restaurants what options are left if you really want to test
before the meal (i usually test more often before going and if its a good
day I shouldn't need to always check) what options? test in the toilets, I
hate doing this!
If I do test in front of people, I don't conceive I am exposing them to
anything in the sense dave wrote! but at least through his message we can
see there is probably many people who feel this way, but that is ~their~
problem not

 But, when you talk about
> "exposing people to my illness at the dinner table" it does sound like
> diabetes is something nasty or shameful or maybe just plain gross.  I
> actually don't think it is any of those things.  And it is different from
> sneeze or blowing your nose because the first thing that comes to mind for
> me in those situations is that I might catch the person's cold.  That is
> obviously not a concern here.  I guess that the reason that your post
> me is that it is not so easy for me to separate "my illness" from my self.
> I don't even know who I would be if I didn't have diabetes.

Totally Agree!  I thought about this lately, the only helpful conclusion I
came upon, is to try to maintain good levels and feel healthy for as long as
possible, How to do this, well the pump at least makes it almost possible,
but its more work, more testing, more .......

If we were not diabetic none of this would have to be done, its like you say
below it is just who we are
Type 1, 12 years
Pumper, 11 months

 (I mean, what I