Re: [IP] help with 16 year old daughter!!

I went (and still am) going thru this with my 18 year old daughter.  She
also doesn't want people to know she has diabetes.  since she got her
drivers license on her 16th birthday, it has always been a rule that she
needs to check her blood sugar before she drives, but I know that she
doesn't always do it.  Jackie's blood sugar has also crept up from an A1C
of 6.5 to being 7.5 - 7.8 in the last year.  There is really nothing you
can do.  Unfortunately, it is totally up to her.  Jackie's doctor has
always been encouraging and telling her that she's doing a great job -
sometimes I wish the doctor would crack down on her a bit, but I suppose
the doctor also sees a lot of kids with A1C's around 10, so 7.5 is good
compared to that.  My only advice to you is to keep the lines of
communication open and keep telling her that she needs to check her blood
sugar more frequently and also keep telling her what can happen and show
her articl! es of what does happen to diabetics when they don't know what
their blood sugar is before they drive...   someday these kids will thank
us for that - at least that's what my parents and in-laws keep telling
me!!!  All you can do is keep trying - good luck!!!

Bev Paul

email @ redacted >Subject: [IP] help with 16 year old daughter!!
>Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 21:32:23 EDT > >I need some help and don't know
what to do with my 16 year old daughter. >When she was younger she was so
good about always taking her meter with her >and doing her blood sugar
and not caring what people think. But now that she >is in high school, it
is like she is ashamed of her diabetes. She hardly >ever takes her meter
when she goes places and is not very good about doing >her blood sugar
before she drives. She even lies to me occassionally and >will say she
has her meter when in fact she doesn't. > >I don't know how to handle
this. She is such a good kid. She is an A >student and doesn't drink or
cause us any problems except, that I wish she >wouldn't worry so much
about other people knowing she has diabetes. Her AIC >has been slowly
creeping up to. It is usually around 6.3 but the last 2 dr's
>appointments it has been 7.5 and I don't think it will be any lower this
time >either. > >Thanks for the help! >Anne