[IP] Restaurant carb counting

The thread on injecting in restaurants made me think of a question I've had
for a long time(I always went to the bathroom, usually with no hassle,
although a few times people swung open the door and looked at me as if I was
injecting heroin). I often eat out during business trips and sometimes with my
family. I've never been good at estimating carbs from a menu. What strategies
do people use to help them effectively count carbs in restaurants? Thanks for
your help.