[IP] closed loop pump

From: "Kathy Bruckmeyer" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] closed loop

I have been wondering how this system will work if we are having a low for
some unexplained reason.  I mean, it's supposed to be set up to give us what
we need but what if we exercise or overdo it and b.g. start crashing?  What
happens then?

Anyone have any info on this?

Kathy Bruckmeyer
email @ redacted
diab 35 yrs pumping 12/00
Kathy any well designed feedback loop would cease delivery of insulin when
it saw the bg decreasing. The pancreas delivers glucagon in such cases from
the alpha cells. In IDDM the alpha cells are often destroyed as well.  it
would be ncessary to set the bg limits high enough to prevent a crash or to
deliver glucagon (or lactic acid if the pump port emptied into the portal
vein as it should) thru a separate but parrallel system.  This is an
ambitious project as Susan Fisher pointed out to the list in a previous
An antomical study waiting to be done is to look at the pancreas of brittle
diabetics and examine it for alpha cells which can be selectively
stained.this could be done at autopsy. in this day and age most of us would
say to a requesting doctor "Oh we know, he died of diabetes! we dont need an
autopsy." but there are other things to be studied. there are other areas
which need to be studied again and with the tools of immunohistochemistry
the tools are available now. spot