Re: [IP] Pump

In a message dated 4/12/2002 10:59:27 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I do not know anyone locally that has a pump, so I haven't seen one up
>  and personal.  I don't understand how the little machine, that you can
>  in your pocket, on your belt, etc. is attached to your injection site and
> how
>  people can't see it.  Is there anyway to explain this to me??

It's a lot easier to see & experience than to explain.   What you should do
is contact the pump companies.  They will send you a packet of informational
materials and a video about pumping in general and their pump in particular.
You should also then get a contact from their local Rep. who can arrange for
you to see/hold/play with their pump -- and in most cases, with the
cooperation of your doc, if you are interested you can even arrange for a
saline trial where you get to "be a pumper" for a few days to a week - only
the pump is just giving you plain saline solution (not insulin).  Below are
links to the three main US pump companies.  There is another pump company
called Dana that is brand new to the US -- I don't have a link for them, but
I'm sure you can find one on the IP site.

There are also some pages on the IP site that describe ways to hide a pump
(if you want or need to) . . . most of the pumpers I've met don't "hide"
their pumps most of the time -- but since they look like a pager, that's what
most people assume they are.  The tubing that attaches the pump to the
cannula (that goes under your skin) is clear and very thin . . . We went to
California over Spring break, and my daughter overheard another girl ask her
mom why that girl (meaning my daughter) "gets" to wear her pager in the pool
(it was clipped to her bikini bottoms) . . .

Here are the links:
 <A HREF="http://www.animascorp.com/">Animas Corporation</A>
 <A HREF="http://www.disetronic-usa.com/">Disetronic-usa.com</A>
 <A HREF="http://www.minimed.com/">MiniMed</A>