Re: [IP] Basal Rates and site problems

In a message dated 4/12/2002 8:08:02 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Last time I visited my dietician and my endo they did not like the fact that
>  I was on 4 different basal rates throughout the day.  My endo switched me
>  2 different rates and I woke up low every morning so I switched back to
>  had been working before. <snip> Has anyone else had this
>  feedback or see this as a problem?

Did they have any explanation as to WHY having multiple basal rates was a
problem?  One of the things the pump companies promote these days is the
ability of a pumper to tailor their basal profile to meet their individual
needs.  It seems to me that anything that gives you better control and
reduces the frequency/severity of hypos would be a good thing . . .

My 11 year old daughter has 7 different basal rates covering a 24 hour period
-- and three different basal profiles:  one for regular days, one for
weekends when she sleeps in, and one for when she has a sleepover away from
home -- I wonder what your doc would say about THAT?!?

(And though we're the ones that adjust her basal rates as needed these days,
it was her endo who originally set her up with seven different basal rate

Maybe your doctor has a good reason, but I'd suspect he's just a dinosaur
lost in a hi-tech world . .  .

Pumpmama to Katie