[IP] Long tooth story 8-)

Does anyone know any statistics on how diabetes effects teeth? My former
dentist, who is now retired,  assumed that  a high blood sugar would cause the
teeth to decay faster because they are being supplied blood that has a higher
than normal blood glucose.

Has anyone noticed a change in their dental health since the onset of diabetes?

As soon as I started getting teeth (as a toddler) they started to decay. I don't
remember how my parents took care of my teeth. So, ever since I was very small
my teeth have been in a constant state of decay.

When I started getting my second teeth, we all thought they would be better and
have a better chance of being good, but it didn't happen.
I do have some Scottish heritage - which I've heard partly explains it.

We basically were taught to brush twice and floss daily.  That regimen doesn't
seem to be enough.

I wasn't diagnosed with (type 1) diabetes until age 32, and by then I had
already had extensive dental work done. Since getting diabetes, my diet has
changed considerably in the way of the amount of sugar I consume, (much less).

My new dentist, thinks I'm continuously stuffing my face with chocolate and coca
cola. He doesn't believe me. I do have chocolate sometimes, and my A1C isn't as
low as it should be but other than that, I'm healthy. I'd hate to give up this
new dentist because he is a really excellent dentist as far as the quality of
work he does. But I know I'm going to need about 10K worth of dental work done
this year, and I'd like to find a way of avoiding this in years to come.

I don' know, I'm just wondering how much is my fault and how much is the