[IP] Re: islet cell tx

We do kidney pancrease tx here at the hospital i work at, they are generally very successful, and require very little recovery time, but then again the antirejection drugs are an issue, but some tolerate them very well.  Good luck Scott

>>> email @ redacted 04/09/02 02:39PM >>>
>>> They said that is why they like to do islets along with another
organ(liver, kidney).  If you are going to be on immun. drugs anyway(for
another organ transplant), then they like to do islets at the same time.
They also said that the longest a transplant has worked was 9 yrs. >>>

I'm on a support group list for those with (or wannabes) kptx
(kidney/pancreas transplant) similar to IP. There are several people on
there who have had tx's for 12 or more years. And, as on IP, not everyone
who has had a tx is on the group. As in pumping, new drugs and treatments
are coming along steadily.

It may be like when I was 45 (started pumping when 43) I read an article
stating *pumps can be used up to age 45.* I laughed and wondered if I had to
give it up then. YMMV (~_^)

@

In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been
times like these.