Re: [IP] What's the latest on flying?

This is one topic with which I have quite a bit of
experience.  Since September 11, I have flown in and
out of more than 20 different airports (including
three international ones and my home airport of Reagan
National in Washington, DC).

My best advice in getting through the initial security
check-point is to wear your pump in an accessible
location, but out of sight--like a pocket.  My pump
does not usually set off the walk-through metal
detector, and if it is in a pocket, the security
personnel do not see it and ask me to take off my
"cell phone".  However, I am often selected at the
gate for a random screening before boarding the plane
(four times in one day back in March).  My pump always
sets off the wand detectors, and it is much easier to
pull your pump out of your pocket or un-clip it from
your belt than to have to pull it out from a leg-thing
or out of your bra.  Simply tell the security person
that you are wearing a medical device that you cannot
remove.  I have had absolutely no problems with this
explanation--even when I was out of the country.

According to most of the airlines, if you carry
prescription medications with you as carry-on baggage
(Humalog or Novolog, for example), they must have the
original prescription container with the pharmacy
label on it.  Your story is the first I have heard of
any airlines requiring a doctor's note to carry on a
glucose meter.  I have had many security personnel
look through my bags and unzip my meter case, but no
one has ever said anything about it.  I agree with
Linda & Dax that it's a good idea to check with your
specific airline for their guidelines on carry-on
luggage (every major airline has a web-site where they
post this type of information).

By the way, the overall source for civil aviation
safety and security is the FAA (www.faa.gov).  The FAA
sets minimum security standards, but individual
airlines may exceed those guidelines.  You may want to
look at the FAQ page of the FAA site:

Hope this is useful,