Re: [IP] Re: venting

In a message dated 4/10/2002 4:03:37 AM Mountain Daylight Time, email @ redacted

> Well this new endo didn't seem to be thrilled with the pump- she went on to
> say how often children went DNK on the pump.  How easy it came dislodged
> kids rough housed etc.

That quote tells you right there that this endo is operating on OLD data.
All the recent studies show that actual the incidence of DKA for pumpers is
equivalent to those on MDI.  The recent studies also show a significant
reduction in the number and severity of hypos, especially night time hypos
for pumpers.  AND  the recent studies show that overall control improves with
pumping . . . And that doesn't even begin to address the quality of life
benefits and things like how pumping can help make it easier for people with
type one to exercise without risking hypos, etc.

I'd have to say that your "new" endo is another one who has failed to stay
current on what the research in the last few years has to say.   Lantus is a
wonderful option to have available and is meeting the needs of many people in
ways that the other long-acting insulins did not.  But it still has any
number of limitations that prevent it from simply being an ideal replacement
for pumping . . .

Good luck to you.

Pumpmama to Katie