RE:[IP] Temporary disuse of pump?

original message:
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 14:47:32 -0500
From: "Cheri Godwin" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] Temporary disuse of pump?

Has anyone out there ever temporarily gone off the pump, or considered
doing it, for a brief amount of time?

If so, what was your reason? What was your experience with BS control
during that time? Did it meet your expectations? What was your doctor's

I have been on a pump for about 2 1/2 years (and diabetic for 39 years)
and am thinking I would like to take about a month off from using the
pump (with my doctor's support) to allow my skin in the abdominal area
to heal (this never seems to totally happen for me).

After yet another infusion cannula "causing" a blood vessel break
resulting in horrendous black/blue splotches, I'd like to give this a
try and am wondering what others might have experienced....

Cheri Godwin
email @ redacted

My answer:
If you want to let your abdomen heal, just start using a different area.  Don't give up the
freedom the pump gives you.  If you use multiple basal rates, there is no long acting insulin that
will give you the same effect.
I have pumped for 6 1/2 years.  I stopped using my abdomen completely.  I now use my thighs and
the area of my behind that I can comfortably reach (I insert silhouettes manually - did not like
the sil serter).  I also use an area that is really on my side, between my waist and the top of my
leg (I'm not sure what to call that area).
I can't imagine ever giving up my pump!

Do You Yahoo!?