Re: [IP] Temporary disuse of pump?

In a message dated 4/8/2002 2:27:51 PM Mountain Daylight Time, email @ redacted

> My son has been on the pump for 2 years and the endo asked him at his last
>  visit if he'd like to take a month off the pump.  She said that it's not
>  unusual for people to take a pump break.   He needs to use areas other
>  the abdomen too.  She said it would take up to six months to heal.

While there is nothing wrong with taking a break from the pump if you choose
to, I just wanted to make sure that you were aware that there are many other
places besides your abdomen where you can place your infusion sets . . . In
fact, pretty much any place where you could do an insulin injection (or even
just have enough fatty tissue) you can put your sets.  Many pumpers put their
sets in their hip, upper butt, and back "love handle" areas.  There are also
some diagrams on the IP web site that show some other options . . . If you
don't really feel the need to take a break from pumping, but do need to give
your tummies a rest, you might want to check out these other options . . .

Pumpmama to Katie