Re: [IP] Friend counts calories, not carbs.

> From: "email @ redacted" <email @ redacted>
> Hi. I have a co-worker that has been a diabetic for more than 40 years.
> Since I have gone on the pump he has laughed at me for counting carbs.
> He uses calories and fat percentages.  What is the deal, and what is the
> diff.  Idon't think he uses it to give himself insulin, just to drive me
> nuts because I figure Carbs is the standard.  He also doesn't use the
> exchange system. --- Robert Carden--- email @ redacted

The *deal* may be that his doctor is not up to snuff on DM. The exchange
system started almost brand new when I was dx'd 11/50. Before that time, the
diets went by percentages of protein, fat, and carbs. Sometimes people get
used to a system and do not change figuring the *old* way is easier. I have
been pumping 18.5 yrs and it was just 3 yrs ago that I first heard the words
Carb Counting. My *up-to-date* endo wasn't so up to date after all. He told
me to stick to the exchange system cuz it's easier. There was a time I was
in the hospital too much (5x first 2 yrs of marriage). I vowed to stay out
and the way I did that was to not see a doctor for the next three years. Not
good. But this man may be stuck in his ways, no significant complications
and figures he doesn't need to see a doctor - if it ain't broke, don't fix
it. That's not good either. We hear something almost everyday on this list
of backward care. This sounds like one that needs to catch up to the new
millenium. (~_^)

When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who
perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that
individual is crazy.