Type 1 vs Type 2 (was Re: [IP] Type I denied life insurance at age 31!)

In a message dated 4/5/02 8:54:31 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< I am a 32 year old teacher. I have been diabetic for 21 years. I was T2
 years and recently became T1--if that's possible...my pancreas gave up!  >>

No, that's not possible. Type 1 is an autoimmune disease. Type 2 is not.
However, type 2 can progress to the point where you need to take insulin.
Taking insulin, in itself, does not mean that you are type 1. It only means
that your type 2 has progressed to the point where you need insulin to
control your BGs. An estimated 40- to 50 percent of type 2s need to take
insulin to control their BGs.

Jan and Elvis
(also type 2)