[IP] carpal tunnel and diabetes

Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 11:19:21 -0500
From: "Marne Bodine-Rice" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] carpal tunnel and diabetes

I just read an article on the ADA website about how the traditional way
of diagnosing carpal tunnel doesn't work very well for diabetics, I
think they're talking about EMG's.

A few years ago I started experiencing numness in my hands, usually
when I was sleeping and only on one half of my hand. when I moved the
numbness went away.  I went to my dr. and had an EMG done.  The
diagnosis was carpal tunnel only up until I told the person giving the
test that I was diabetic, (apparently she hadn't read my file yet) then
the diagnosis was neuropaty.

The article said that dr's need to rely more on symptoms to diagnose
carpal tunnel than on the tests.  But the article did not say what the
difference in symptoms are.  Can anyone tell me what they are?

It's a hell of a world when patients need to acquire the skills of taking a
history and examining patients because most medical students are never
taught. Well, carpel tunnel is a neuropathy, a compression neuropathy. It is
also common in hypothyroidism. There are those who advocate operation as
treatment and others who never do. If the symptoms become a major issue,
wrist splints are helpful. spot