Re: [IP] beach and pump

In a message dated 4/5/2002 2:37:21 AM Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> does anyone have any suggestions about
>  going to the beach with a pump? <SNIP>
>  Sand, saltwater, heat (these can't be good for
>  the pump or the insulin - MM 508).  <SNIP>
>  Any other problems (and solutions)?

Solution? Get an Animas pump!  (Sorry, I couldn't resist -- but honestly
these are the very issues that were major reasons why we chose Animas for our
daughter (I think she's part fish).  The Animas pump has the highest
waterproof test rating of any of the pumps by far -- 24 hours at 12 foot
depth) . . .

To offer some more immediately practical help for you, there is a waterproof
belt designed specifically for the MM pumps that is available on their web
site.  I think it's about $50.   I've heard some people complain that its a
real pain getting their pump in and out of that belt and others who
definitely disagree -- you'll have to see for yourself.  But it seems like
this belt will address the salt water and the sand problem, as well as the
"not wanting it to get stolen" issue.  The main draw back is probably
aesthetic (which may or may not be of concern to you) -- plus it won't help
with keep the insulin at a reasonable temperature if you're the type that
likes to roast your skin in direct sunlight (if you spend a lot of time in
the water, that will help keep your insulin cool) . . .

I've found Frio packs to be great for keeping insulin bottles cool and I'm
sure they'd be great for keeping a pump cool (though we haven't used one for
that).  I doubt you could use one in conjuntion with the waterproof belt,
though.  So it  looks like you'll have to settle for really addressing on set
of issues or the other (unless someone else has some other great ideas).
Here's a link to the Frio web site:    <A HREF="http://www.frio.us.com/">FRIO
- Keeps your insulin cool</A>

Whatever you decide -- Have a GREAT TIME!

Pumpmama to Katie