[IP] Why are you telling me this

I have gotten into the habit of asking *why are you telling me this? When
someone tells me anything they think they know about diabetes. My aunt had
diabetes and got her legs amputated - I am sorry to hear that, why are you
telling me this. You should not eat that - I though I was up on all the
latest research, why are you telling me this, etc. Then I can respond to the
actual concern or whatever motivation that person had for sharing this
information. It is amazing how people realize they have no idea what they
are talking about when you question them in this way. It is also firm but
not too snippy.
Amy B. Anderson