Re: [IP] next generation pumping

Mark Haywood <email @ redacted> wrote:

> I wouldn't look for a
> closed loop system for at least 5+ years, because we don't currently have
> sensor that has a correlation factor good enough to make insulin
> with.

I don't know how long it will take for one to hit the market, but the
Medtronic sensor is doing an excellent job in the trials in France.  That,
BTW, is why both Medtronic and Minimed agreed to the merger (well
acquisition of Minimed by Medtronic).  The sensor is placed in the superior
vena cava just before it enters the sinus venosus of the heart proper.  The
pump itself is implanted just below the skin, and insulin is dripped
directly into the peritoneum.

Clinical trials in France have been successful beyond anyone's hopes.  Look
for clinical trials of a closed loop system in the U. S. by November or
December, according to Dr. Bruce Bode (who will likely be one of the doctors
conducting the trial).

Jim Handsfield