[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V6 #230

> Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 09:35:27 -0500
> From: Michael Otten <email @ redacted>
> Subject: Re: [IP] Type I denied life insurance at age 31!
> I just signed my sons (1 of whom has diabetes) up through work, but for a paltry $4,000, which wouldn't cover a casket.
> 8(  It was the most I could get them without submitting a blood and urine sample.  I also signed my wife up for the same
> amount as you, again, without the medical info.  I do not think that when (many) people talk about life insurance, they
> are talking about policies less than a couple hundred thousand $$. But everyone's needs are different.
> It is so wrong, though I CAN see where the (stupid) insurance companies are coming from (in denying insurance to people
> with Diabetes).
> For those that want it, has anyone thought of creating an annuity (or similar) to act as some sort of homemade insurance
> policy?  Too bad interest rates are almost at an all time low...
> Mike O  (who does not like discrimination, especially from insurance companies)
> jennifer pitts wrote:
> >  hey, i have life insurance through my husbands work & they know i'm a diabetic 40,000. i didnt have to fight either

 I didn't realize just how lucky I was until I started reading about you
guys who are having so much trouble getting life insurance. I have been
denied by all of the major insurance companies. Then I was lucky enough
to start working at the University of Alaska. Through their group
coverage I have been able to get $125,000 of coverage for only $25.00 a
month and they cannot deny me! Their health coverage is fantastic also.
If I didn't work here I'm not sure what I would do.

Karen in North Pole, Alaska
DX'ed in 1971
Pumping since 1996