[IP] Definition of Type 1

----- Original Message -----
From: "maverickmom" <email @ redacted>
> I just think it is more
> accurate to say they are insulin-using rather than
> insulin-dependent (because if they were the latter they
> would, by default, be type 1 - at least according to
> current categorizing).

Actually, there ARE insulin-dependent Type 2's -- because beta-cell
deterioration is very much a part of Type 2.

The difference between Type 1 and Type 2 is the etiology of the diabetes --
if it's auto-immune, it's Type 1; if it's associated with insulin
resistance, it's Type 2.

That's why, even in the honeymoon period, when Type 1's require little to no
insulin if they watch their diet and exercise, they're still Type 1--
because the auto-immune process is continuing.

I just read an article that said that insulin resistance basically stays the
same throughout the course of Type 2 -- but that beta-cell function
deteriorates. That makes sense, because insulin-resistance starts MANY years
before actual diagnosis of Type 2. That's also why Type 2's often develop
complications before diagnosis -- U.S. doctors usually rely on fasting
glucose to diagnose Type 2, but they've often had very high PP BGs for many
years before diagnosis.

Not an easy disease either way!

Type Weird, pumping!
mailto:email @ redacted