[IP] Re: Comps with good BGs...

On 4/4/02 5:52 AM, "Jacob Chojnacki <email @ redacted> wrote:

> Ok, Hi everyone.  I got a question.  I have had diabetes for 14 years and
> I'm 24 years old.  I have read so many different studies and stories about
> complications from diabetes.  I want to know IF WE CONTROL OUR BLOOD SUGARS
> WILL WE STILL GET COMPLICATIONS?  WILL THEY ONLY BE DELAYED?  IF YES, THEN
> THIS BRINGS A GREAT DEAL OF DEPRESSION UPON US.

Not to generalize as 'Your Mileage May Vary' and all that, *I* have had
'betes seventeen years and have no complications from it. For the first nine
years I was on MDI and not well controlled at all; On the pump, it's been
better then recently, but so far, so good.

I understand that while there is a genetic tendency to get comps or to not
get comps, It's in your "Levi's" (genes) and every effort should be made by
us to fight what would otherwise be inevitable with negligence. The whole
idea of "Oh, I'll get complications anyway so why bother?" is defeatist and
self destructive. If we really WANT to be well the steps we take may or  may
not make a difference, ...But studies like the DCCT have borne evidence that
good care *Will* make a large difference in the onset and severity of any
comps that may lie in our future.

Life has no guaranties, and no one said life's fair. *I* know that for a
fact it isn't.

So try not to be depressive, but try to think how lucky you are with an
instrument that could make a huge difference in your health. Many don't even
have the options we do.

Jenny Sutherland
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Mac_X/
http://www.wyldcelt.com