RE: [IP] Complications

Jacob Chojnacki [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> I want to know IF WE CONTROL
> OUR BLOOD SUGARS
> WILL WE STILL GET COMPLICATIONS?  WILL THEY ONLY BE DELAYED?
> IF YES, THEN
> THIS BRINGS A GREAT DEAL OF DEPRESSION UPON US.
>
> ANYONE CARE TO SHED SOME LIGHT OR COMMENTS.

Of course!  That's what we *DO*.  8-)

Time for a little lesson in statistics.

When you (or anyone else) reads stories about all the things one can do to
live better, longer, etc., those conclusions are based on statistical
analysis of some data.  Assume for a moment that I have some ironclad data
in which a normally distributed (i.e. bell shaped curve) factor was shown to
be statistically associated with duration of a cold, and that these data
indicate that if you blow your left nostril before you blow your right
nostril, you will shorten the length of the cold by 20%.

That 20% would be a central measure of the data - either the mean, the
median, or the mode (definitions upon request).  Some people who followed
the regimen might have shortened the cold by 50%, and others may have
actually lengthened the duration of the cold (these would be the extremes).

Still with me?  Were you *ever* with me?  8-)

IOW, any one person may have results anywhere within the range of responses,
but the most common responses would be near the center.

So it is with DM complications.  If you keep your HbA1c under 7%, exercise,
watch your diet and weight, then you reduce the probability that you will
have these complications.  Or maybe you just lengthen the time before onset.
But it's possible that doing none of these things, you will have no
complications, and it's also possible that, despite having excellent
control, etc., you will still have to deal with complications.

What you do, from a scientific/medical/statistical perspective is reduce the
likelihood of complications by maintaining excellent control, etc.

And this, my friends, is the long winded way of saying YMMV.

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted OR