[IP] more misinformation

I met a 73 y/o T-2 yesterday whose kidneys are in about the same condition
as mine (15-18%). We were comparing fistulas/shunts as well as surgeons
(same). He got his about the same week as I got mine (10/23/01). I asked how
long he has had DM - about 15 years. I said, "51.5" He said, "That's how old
you are?" I said, "No, that's how long I've had diabetes." He said, "Oh, you
started out as a Type 1 then."

I explained that a T-1's pancreas does not work, a T-2's does but the
insulin isn't used correctly, therefore, my *dead* pancreas didn't start
producing insulin to become resistant at some point. I said I'd always be a
Type 1. He was very surprised to hear that.

My thought in much of the *misinformation* out there is, most DMers don't
have a clue what they have or what it is nor the latest treatments. Then,
add on the family members of those people - and they know even less. Rumors
start flying. YMMV (~_^)