[IP] Re: Old Ways to Test BG

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002 09:07:54 -0800 Mardi wrote:
>Ah yes, Sam, the "good old days".  Did you ever use the "at home test tube
>chemistry set" to mix a few drops of urine w/a few drops of water.  Shake a
>caustic tablet from the amber glass jar into the lid of the jar...drop it in
>the test tube without touching it...wait for the works to "boil down

Before the caustic tablets we had Benedict's Solution, which was copper
sulphate dissolved in water, and purchased at the local drug store. I added
a few (I forget whether it was 5 or 10) drops of urine to the specified
quantity of Benedict's Solution in a test tube, put the test tube into a
metal 1-cup measuring cup with water and then put it on the gas stove and
let it boil for 5 minutes. If it remained blue (the natural color of
Benedict's Solution) the specimen was negative (no sugar). If it changed
color (green, yellow, orange or brown) there was progressively more sugar.
We had a color chart to compare to, just like Sam described yesterday
(negative, 1+, 2+, 3+, or 4+). Although my Mother let me use the kitchen
stove for this, she let me take care of collecting the specimen and
preparing the test. I think the Ultra (5 sec) is better!

Tom Beatson
dx 1942, 506 1995, 508 2000