Re: [IP] oldies issues

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002 12:02:57 -0500 Sharon Brousseau wrote:

>I was diagnosed as a diabetic in the mid 70's and remember those strips for
>testing "sugar" in the urine and comparing colors on the side of the
>container. In their infinite wisdom - the testing manufacturers didn't seem to
>tell us what to do when the "sugar" indicator was too high. I don't recall
>having a clue what to do-we didn't have regular insulin back then.

I beg to differ with you. Regular insulin was the first commercially
available insulin after Banting and Best discovered insulin. That was in the
early to mid 1920s. I distinctly remember having regular insulin available
in 1943 as soon as my Mother and I started treating me. At that time I was
taking two injections per day (PZI-protamine zinc insulin before breakfast
and Regular before supper). Not very long after that the medical profession
"decided" that one injection per day of long acting insulin was the "ideal"
way to treat diabetes, so they downplayed the use of Regular insulin, but
you could always buy it at the drug store.

Tom Beatson
dx 1942, 506 1995, 508 2000