[IP] RE: (pigging out on Easter)

From: email @ redacted
>>>Lol first of all, I don't have a fetish. My name is Erica. >>>

Oh. I didn't know what to call you since you don't sign your posts and your
user name is hazefetish (has a fetish). Some people make up some pretty
weird ones and I just thought you were telling us something. ;)

>>>I do count carbs every meal. I'm not on the pump yet.(insurance won't
cover it until I have this for a year) I am on insulin. I take humalog 75/25
mix - 20 units in the morning and 15 units at night and Glucophage - four
500mg tablets a day. In January my hba1c test was 7.8% and last week it was
6.2% >>>

Are you counting carbs to MATCH your insulin dosage, or dosing insulin to
match your carbs? Sounds like you take the same amount of insulin every
day - but occasionally the carb intake varies. Some people have a 1-15
ratio, that is for every 15 carbs one unit of insulin will keep them at a
target level. Pigging out would natually have more carbs and require that
much more insulin - no constant daily dose. Perhaps you are too *new* to try
this at home. Remember, too, the A1c is an average of highs and lows - for
the past 3 months.
Since you say you have to have DM for a year before getting a pump, there
will be more holidays coming (4th July, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas,
New Year's, perhaps weddings, picnics) that you will want to pig out on as
well - you got away with it once, why not again? Not a good practice and
that would start a lifelong *tradition* and you may end up with those
complications you wish you could have avoided.

Do you work with a CDE (Certified Diabetes Educator) who can help you enjoy
those times and how to cover the extra carbs with the proper amount of
insulin? Since you are new at this, and perhaps in the honeymoon stage
(pancreas still working sporadically) you may feel okay - but some of us are
literally ill after doing something like that without the proper amount of

BTW, are you seeing an endocrinologist? An endo specializes in the endocrine
system of which the pancreas is a part. Since you will have this the rest of
your life (or a cure), it is best to see someone who is up on the latest and
knows the most about it. There is a lot of *ignorance* in the medical world
about DM. Stay with this list and find out almost daily of peoples'
experiences with behind-the-times *professionals*.

One member of this list once said her son could eat anything he wanted as
long as there was insulin in the house. It's a match game. YMMV (~_^)

You need only two tools. WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it
should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape