Re: [IP] Re: Regular insulin

At 01:04 PM 4/2/2002 email @ redacted wrote:
 >without home glucose monitoring, how did you even know *when* you needed to
 >change insulin doses?  Did the doctors just start you on a units per body
 >weight type of average?  I'm just curious, it is very interesting reading
 >about the changes in the past 50 years.

Back in the good-old days, you had no way of knowing what your BG levels
were "now" (except at the doctor's office). The urine tests sort of told
you how things were a few hours ago (anyone else remember the +
measurements, instead of numbers?) My first blood glucose testing began
with strips where you read color variations from a chart (there were only
about a half/dozen ranges so it was not very sensitive). I recall getting
my first BG meter in the mid/late 1980's and thinking it was great (even
though you had to wash and/or blot the strip at precisely the correct time
to make the results accurate). You basically didn't change your insulin
dose... you usually used pretty much what you were told to use by the
doctor, and then had to deal with the consequences.  I often used a sliding
scale of Regular based on what I was eating and what my urine tests were
reading, but this was only a very rough guide.  There were no A1c tests way
back then either.

(diabetic since 1979)