Re: [IP] 504 and adult college students

I wouldn't say that it doesn't happen to adults.  It has happened to me.
There is a law to protect people with chronic diseases, and I was covered
by the FMLA guidelines, but it did not keep me from being treated
different.  I was fine at my job and had not missed any days due to
illness for three or four years.  One day I came to work and couldn't keep
my sugars up.  Luckily, the nurse we had at the time had worked as a
diabetes nurse for a very accredited hospital.  She pushed me to get the
FMLA papers filled out.  Up until that point I never thought I needed
them, and I didn't want to be treated different.  Well it was a downward
spiral from there.  The remainder of the time that I worked with that
company (three years),  I was constantly harassed about any absences.  I
know that companies need employs that can be there, but diabetics also
need jobs.  I had my boss as well as the human resources manager accuse me
of "laying out" and that I could have come to work on a lot of those
occasions that I had not.  The same guy from HR told me his father had
diabetes and he knew about it and that his father was fine.  Another
ignorant person who knows someone with diabetes, but knows nothing about
the disease.  I am now with a new company and I am terrified of making
people feel the same way as my former employers.  I haven't been with the
company long enough to qualify for FMLA and I don't know if I even want to
sign up for it.

Billie