Re: [IP] 504 and adult college students - 1 professor

Erin wrote (email @ redacted)
<<...but you can still be sure that IF you
are out sick for a length of time, and you miss assignments and tests, you
will be able to make them up when you are feeling better.>>

If only this would have been posted last week....
[low incident w/ paramedics detailed].... I emailed all of my professors to let
them know that I was not going to be back in class until Tuesday.  All of them
were fine with that and said that it would be no problem making up the work
that I missed and I would get the attendance points.  That is all except for
one of them.  She said that in order to get a chance to make up the points and
get the attendance points back I would have to bring in the bill from the
paramedics. ..So if anyone knows what I can do please let me know.  >>

Erin,  hopefully this isn't too late a reply - if you don't have a bill from
the paramedics, I'd show the professor the bracelet that the paramedics put on
you, and your MedicAlert emblem (or other type of medical identification which
hopefully you have), and emphasize that this is not something that people with
diabetes "make up" to get out of class work.  This situation reminds me of a
policy at my workplace that employees have to bring in proof of death in family
(obituary, typically) to get the time off - only a very few dishonest people
try to fake their way out of this & for many genuinely grief-striken employees,
it's an unreasonable burden to add at a hectic & troubling time.  I'm sure that
some students try things to get out of work, but I doubt that many students w/
DM use it as an excuse for anything & I would challenge her on this point.
Maybe she'll be willing to learn a little bit about diabetes too.

Good luck!

Do You Yahoo!?