Re: [IP] pregnancy

At 5:51 PM -0500 4/1/02, email @ redacted wrote:
>My ob seems to think that I should only be allowed to shower and use the
>bathroom.  I feel that   he is over reacting.  Any advice?   I do not want to
>push if the baby is in any danger, but I am not the lounge around type of

Hi Dal,

Well, I think I'd certainly ask him some specific questions. I mean,
hopefully you've got at least another 10 weeks to go, and that's a
long time to be on bed rest.

He's right to be vigilant, because DMers do tend to have a higher
incidence of pre-eclampsia. Do you have any family history of
pre-eclampsia (or toxemia, as it used to be known)? If so, this would
further increase your risk. But the fact that your BP is now running
in the normal range, I'd wonder if bed rest is necessary too.

Have you had any protein in your urine? Do you have a history of
miscarriages or pre-term labor? I'm also curious as to your ob.'s
experience with high risk pregnancies. Is he a perinatologist?

Okay, so I've asked more questions than I've answered. :-)

Both my kids were 6 weeks early due to pre-eclampsia (I also had a
family history of it, not to mention the DM connection). With my
first, it was an emergency c-section. With my second, I went on bed
rest for about a week or 2 and then they went ahead and induced. My
kidney function was fine, but I was spilling protein like nobody's

Bottom line, I'd rather a doc err on the side of caution, but I can
understand you wondering while you're facing 10 weeks of bed rest. I
would  just ask him specifics as to why you're need to be on bed rest
with a normal BP. He may have answers that make sense to you and make
you adhere to the bed rest schedule.

Good luck!

Jenny Nash
email @ redacted
Type 1 diabetes since 1/31/73, pumping on a D. since 10/3/95.