Re: [IP] Pizza Bolus

Sherry Nolan wrote:
>... You need 6 units for a carb-less meal? Everything you mentioned would
>not need a bolus under my understanding of carb-counting.

Yes. Any meal I take requires a certain amount just for the "bulk" of the
meal, although I'm sure there's a metabolic explanation (which I currently
ignore). For every extra 15 g of carb, I then require 1 additional unit.

So, for breakfast, I consume 30 g of carb and 15 g of protein, but require
5 units of insulin instead of the 2 needed for the carb alone. BTW, I don't
guess at food weights -- I use a scale.

Interestingly, when my insulin requirement changes, as it does often
enough, it's the "base" part of the bolus that changes, not the part that
covers the carb. For instance, if my 8 unit dinnertime bolus falls short
and I start to need 10 units to cover my "standard dinner", I still need 1
unit for every 15 g of additional carb.

Of course, this is my mileage, and I can set my speedometer by it. YMMV.

regards, Andy