Re: [IP] stem cells

In a message dated 4/29/01 11:36:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> yes this IS an issue because we are playing with
> fire by playing with life both on the point of using fertilized eggs and for
> the recepient of the stem cells.

Ok, here's my question to you Ginny or anyone else opposed to stem cell
research (And please don't think I'm picking on you, I'm just trying to
understand like everyone else. I know why I do or believe things, I'd like
also like to know why others do things too.).... you say that we are,
'playing with fire' when we use fertilized eggs, but aren't we doing that BY
fertilizing eggs that would not have normally been fertilized on their own?
Like I said before, a lot of these are coming from places that will not be
using these embryos otherwise. So why throw em out?? Why not use them to help
save lives? Is it better to just throw them out? (There isn't going to be any
sort of funeral for them. Just a soft, "flush" noise perhaps??) My arguement
is this.... IF _____ (Insert higher power name here...ie...God, Buddah,
Allah, etc) hadn't meant for us to use these embryos, he/she/it would never
have given us the knowledge on how to do it in the first place.  They of
course, wouldn't have let those embryos become a cure for diseases. It
would've been something else... a flower, plant or other kind of animal
perhaps. ?? I don't know but this is just my thought.  (Oh I can just see
what I've started now! No flaming, please. Do it privately if I've ticked you
off or if you feel like I've peed in your Wheaties(Just an expression) Don't
get your panties in a was in other words. It's just a post, won't harm
anyone, it's a lowly diabetics feelings on the subject.
<Ducking and Running for cover as Ms Sara Smarty Pants would say!!!>
Thanks everyone!!