Re: [IP] DKA and missed diagnoses

In a message dated 4/28/01 2:42:27 PM Central Daylight Time, email @ redacted

> OMG!  I could have written this!  When my son was 2, I looked up his
> symptoms
> in my medical book and it sounded like diabetes.

this reminds me of how i was dx'd!  i was in 7th grade and was participating
in the school science fair.  my  project was on the digestive system and i
was at home reading through one of those books where it asks a question and
if you answer 'yes' you go to the next box and if you answer 'no' you go on
to the next.  so i'm thinking, hmmmm, this sounds like me.  i'm answering
'yes' to frequent urination and thirst, etc, and it brings me down to "You
may have diabetes mellitus... Contact your doctor immediately!"
so i took the book to my mom's room and showed her, and she called the doctor
the next morning immediately when they opened.  she took me in and my sugar
was over 1000 without the glucose test.  i was allowed to go home to get some
stuff for the day and come back later... guess what i did?  i was so sad and
scared so i ate a whole box of my favorite cereal--Fruity Pebbles!!  boy, i
regret that one, but it sure was good and yummy in my tummy!!
a very happy Gina who just got front-row Janet Jackson tickets!!  :O)