[IP] DKA and missed diagnoses

In a message dated 4/28/01 10:58:02 AM Eastern Standard Time, email @ redacted

   How awful! Just curious...had she already been dx'd or was this a "missed
dx"??? I was chatting with 2 moms yesterday who also had that all too
familiar tale of doctors dismissing the mothers' concerns & attributing the
child's symptoms to anything BUT diabetes. In fact, one mom went through so
many docs that they ended up with a psychologist who wrote a report stating
the child was in obvious need of therapy. Two wks later she was hospitalized
with diabetes! The mom told me she kept that letter as a reminder to never
ignore her "gut" despite what the "professionals" were telling her. No
physician-bashing intended here, simply a reminder from a "gut-watcher" that
if it "doesn't feel right", often it's not!!
Regards, Renee (Melissa's pump mom whose "gut" knew something was wrong,
which prompted me to take in an unsolicited urine specimen to the
pediatrician WITHOUT Melissa, who was off at school..they thought I was nuts
UNTIL they dipped it & then THEY (the doc's staff) went nuts! Her bgs upon
admission were 146 (of course it had taken so l-o-n-g to get through the
admission process that she hadn't eaten in about 7 hours!)