[IP] Re: Mom feels BAD!

You're only human.  At least you caught your mistake and have probably
learned from it.  We've all done "stupid" things.  I've had D for 18 years.
When I was on shots, I forgot twice to take my injection in the morning and
was 400 and nauseated by midafternoon.  And after starting the pump, I
foolishly turned off the sound (I was running a temp basal and did not want
to make "beeps"  during my daughter's First Reconciliation ceremony at
church.)  Anyway, the next day I turned the pump to "stop" mode to reprogram
a basal rate, got a phone call and forgot to put it back in "run" mode.   If
I hadn't turned off the beeps, I would have instantly been alerted to the
fact that my pump was in stop mode.  To make matters worse, I was basal
testing, so I was skipping lunch that day.  If I had tried to bolus, I would
also have been alerted to the fact that my pump was in stop mode.  I was
testing every hour or so because I was basal testing, but my blood sugars
didn't get that high.  After three and a half hours in stop, I was only 150.
But after five hours I was ready to vomit, my blood sugar was 300+, and when
I tested I had "large" amounts of ketones in my urine.  It took a ton of
insulin to get myself back in the normal range because of the ketones.  Boy
did I feel stupid!  What lesson did I learn?  Who cares if you make a few
beeps in church or anywhere.  Those beeps are a necessary backup to an all
too common problem - human error!
We all make mistakes and there's no point beating yourself up about it.