[IP] RE: Diabetic for a day . . .

In a message dated 4/26/2001 2:22:13 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> what
>  i'mwondering is how many of you have done this with someone, had them be
>  diabetic for a day?  how did you determine who to consider highs and lows?
>  did you set some kind of range or criteria for them to be considered low
>  have to treat it?
>  this sounds interesting and i cannot wait to do it..... btw, he's not
>  on the pump cuz i forget i dont have a backup... i'll just make him
>  for a day!

I think this is a great idea . . . But I think it should be for at least a
weekend . . . For highs and lows, why don't you just have him pull a number
out of a hat every time he checks his BG and act accordingly based on that
number . . . Since you don't have a back up pump -- why not put him on
mutiple daily injections (with saline instead of insulin, of course) and have
him count carbs for a fixed carb diet (3 meals, 3 snacks -- on schedule!) ...
After experiencing MDI, he'll really appreciate your pump!